Monday, November 19, 2007

Sarawak:: Dewan Diary 1 of WHL

Dewan Diary - Day 1 (November 19, 2007)

A surplus budget 2008 of RM61m was introduced by the Chief Minister. The economy looks fantastic next year. But that is what was presented. The afternoon’s budget session ended in a high note when the BN backbenchers banged the tables in tremendous applause to the CM who introduced the budget.

But in the morning it was Fire! That was what happened when the Motion to amend the Standing Orders was introduced. George Chan said Notice had been given to introduce the Motion but none of the members received it. That was in breach of the Standing Orders. As soon as George Chan finished his speech, I rose to demand to know when and where the Notice was given. He said he gave it to the Speaker. The Speaker, with respect, wrongly, allowed the Motion to proceed. I was not allowed to question the Notice in my speech.

When I spoke on decorum in the august House, especially the “kurang ajar” incident, I was almost ordered to stop though I was hardly 20% into my speech. But I insisted to speak, despite the Speaker’s yelling to stop me, and I was then allowed to proceed to talk about measures to improve the Dewan and its proceedings, including calling for live telecast, written answers to lapsed questions, ministers’ replies etc. I said that improvising must be a philosophy of life. If a minister should call a deer a horse, that answer should not be allowed, I said, because that type of answer would not reach a reasonable standard of decency. Yet that had been allowed all the time, with Ministers falling way off the mark in their replies.

The Chief Minister was upset when I said that we are more clean than the BN because we do not resort to money politics. Soon Koh wanted me to withdraw the words “money politics”. He also cited the Standing Orders, saying that I had imputed improper motive on members. I roared, asking whether I had mentioned names, of his Bawang Assan, since he wanted to invoke the Standing Orders. He meekly withdrew to his seat. It looks like Soon Koh really knows little about the Standing Orders, though he had been a Speaker for many years.

Dominique took on the heat and Chong and Voon also took part in the debate. Much was said that it was an attempt to gag us. Chong literally took a “roll call”, refreshing the memory of the Dewan what had happened before, with Ministers failing in their duties. When he looked at Abang Jo, Chong said, “Satok is a good man. Nothing to comment”, he said. You see, we would give credit to where it is due.

Jabu was upset by Chong’s reminder that he gave 2 different answers to his question. He retorted saying, “If you put words into my mouth, then I would pull your tongue”. He then sat down, satisfied, and laughed together with George Chan.

It was the hilarious Jepak who brew a storm. While saying that he saw nothing wrong with the amendment, he said he had observed that while I was speaking of PKR Advisor I was putting my hands behind to protect my buttock. It was a negative insinuation against the former DCM. I told the Dewan that this was offensive and I did not do what Jepak said I did, but I also warned Jepak not to be interested in my buttock! An enraged Dominique could not do much to retort Jepak, because my voice drowned his. It is difficult to be alone.

I wonder whether the jesty words of Jepak could be construed as lowering the dignity of the august House. Surely, news would be carried on this sick joke tomorrow.

George Chan had his thumbs up and directed gestures at Chong when Adenan said George Chan subscribed to the dignity of house.

It was tea break at 11 something. We realized that there wasn’t enough food to go around. There was insufficient seating. Many of us starved. That was the first time we had experienced this, and BN Ministers groused about it.

In his reply, George Chan refuted our allegation that the amendment was moved to stifle or gag the Opposition. He insisted that there was freedom of speech. He said that despite the large number of members in the BN, the Opposition spoke a lot more in comparison. That was the paramount issue. What use is there in electing BN then if they won't talk?

The Afternoon session started with the Assistant Minister Daud of Tupong introducing a Bill to repeal the Muslim Wills Ordinance. I had prepared a speech but upon consultation with my colleagues, decided not to talk. The public may twist what I would say. Of course, the Ordinance is not longer relevant, so, it has to go to the archive instead of remaining on the shelf for cockroaches and silver fish. Some members practising the Muslim faith deliberated the Bill at length before it was passed and the Dewan adjourned for RTM to fix the apparatus in order to carry the budget speech of the Chief Minister “siarang lansung”.

While the radio room got themselves ready, a TV camera was set up 2 rows behind Violet. Chew, Voon, Violet, Ting and myself stayed in the chamber. Chin Sing spent the tea break to catch up on his nap.

In his Budget speech, the CM said that the State’s per capita income has risen from RM4,059.00 in 1980 to RM25,820.00 in 2002. The incidence of poverty has dropped from 47% in 1980 to 5% in 2002. He said we must try harder to benchmark ourselves against the best to make Sarawak a preferred investment destination. We must be more creative, innovative and volatile to suit the changing and challenging times. Global inflationary pressure will be experienced. Etc. Ya, the normal mundane stuffs that we have heard so often from the CM or read so often in the papers.

The CM is strong and healthy and made no mess in his reading. He went through 48 pages in 1 ½ hour.

The surplus for next year’s budget is RM61m. The revenue collection is projected at RM3,550m. The contributors are: oil and gas RM1,326m (37%), investment and interest income RM894m (15%), forestry sector RM641m (18%), sales tax RM194m (5%), land premium RM200m (6%), non tax-revenue RM186m (5%), federal Government grants and reimbursements. RM95m (3%).

The Expenditure will be RM3489, out of which RM2,300m is for financing development projects and RM1,189m for operational purposes.

The CM finished at 5:14 p.m. and the Dewan was adjourned. The debate on the budget will commence on 21st November, 2007.

No comments: